Back to blogUpdated · 1 min read

Building insurance

Building insurance protects your actual building and its fixtures against things like fire, explosions, Mother Nature, burst geysers, theft, malicious and accidental damage, and even subsidence and landslip.

How much building insurance do I need?

You need to insure your house for the amount that it will cost you, at the time of the claim, to rebuild it with new materials, including fixtures like tiles, carpets, cupboards, built-in appliances and light fittings. You also need to include the cost of any outbuildings and other construction on your yard like pools, walls, etc.

Remember, you could potentially lose your whole house and then it would need to be totally scrapped and rebuilt. So make sure that you also include the cost of the following in your insured value:

  • Making the site safe;
  • Demolishing and removing the remains; and
  • Professional and municipal fees.

What’s the difference between home contents insurance and building insurance?

Building insurance covers the structure as well as its fittings and fixtures. Contents insurance covers all of your belongings. Some insurers allow you to insure your building and home contents under one policy.

You might also like



Subrogation means that your insurance company has the right to pursue a third party that has caused you to suffer a loss. This is so that your insurance company can claim back the money they spent on repairing or replacing your insured item(s).

1 min read

Premium renewal

Premium renewal is when your insurer updates your premium to reflect the changes in their perception of your riskiness since your last premium renewal.

1 min read


An appraisal is when the value of something is determined at a certain point in time. Things like jewellery, art, instruments and even your homes are appraised.

1 min read